Thursday 10 July 2014

I AM #UNASHAMED

This afternoon my attention was brought to an article on the Daily Fail website. It was written by Linda Kelsey who doesn't like happy fat people.

Why SHOULD we be?

Seemingly with the intention of filling a gap left by Katie Hopkins since everyone got bored of talking about her, Kelsey, a self-confessed fattist, writes about 3 young ladies who appear to be in their early twenties and are happy and excited to be going on their holidays. They were going to a hot country so they wore shorts. They were also (according to Kelsey) "a size 18 at least" and not concerned or ashamed for being fat or wearing appropriate holiday clothing - Something Kelsey finds outrageous.



Why is this kind of body-shaming still acceptable? 
And what sort of message is this sending out to young girls (and boys)? That if you don't fit Linda Kelsey's ideal for the perfect body then you should hide away in a box of self-loathing and shame until such a time that she deems you "acceptable" by her standards? 

Sod that.

Fat, thin, gay, straight, black, white, male, female, Christian, Muslim, tattooed, pierced... These are the things that define you. Never let anyone tell you that you should be ashamed to be yourself.

I am Katt.
I am fat. 
I am happy. 
And I am unashamed.

Be who you are. Be whoever you want to be.
Don't let the bitches get you down. 

1 comment:

  1. WOW. How .. stupid. I'm speechless. I am fat. I always have been but I can hike up as steep hill faster and with less puffing than most skinny minnies and I have a strong core. Just because I look fat doesn't mean I should be unfit, ashamed or hide away. Geez. I am shocked ppl like this are in the media.

    ReplyDelete